[Sca-cooks] OT Authenticity Police: since we're castigating extremists anyway...

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 18 18:04:43 PDT 2001

Caitlin Cheannlaidir <rise.peters at spiegelmcd.com> wrote:
>The most offensive behavior along these lines I've ever seen, though, was at
>an event in Northern Virginia where someone took it on herself to give a
>guest of mine a hard time about the unbleached rope belt he was wearing with
>his perfectly authentic monk's robe.  She asserted that, standing there in a
>monk's robe and sandals and a rope belt, he was pretending to be a member of
>the chivalry.  She refused to let the topic go, and was so offensive that he
>hasn't been back since.  But that's not "authenticity police", that's ...
>I'm not quite sure what that is, besides bad manners to a guest.

This person had a legitimate complaint. The white belt is the only
SCA-wide protected clothing item (crowns are more like jewelry than
clothing). ANY kind of white belt is ONLY allowed for Knights
(Masters at Arms do not wear a white belt, they typically wear a
white baldric). I'm sure they could have said it more politely, but
they were right.

I REALLY think this list is NOT the place to talk about this, unless
we confine ourselves to FOOD comments. I am fatigued enough of the
topic on clothing lists. If people want to read folks' complaints
about supposed "garb snarking", please read the archives of SCA-GARB,
H-COST, and the yahoo sca-garb list.

I really, REALLY hope we can return to talking about FOOD on this list. PLEASE.

OB FOOD CONTENT:
Most of the feasts here in the Central West in that last number of
years have been authentic or at least peri-oid. I did attend one
feast at which almost nothing was medieval or renaissance. I don't
think anyone said anything rude to the cook, although i know that
many folks were rather disappointed.

Anahita