[Sca-cooks] grinding nuts

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Sep 18 18:14:02 PDT 2001

Having once done up 25 pounds of marzipan from
scratch in my cuisinart, and having once upon
a time actually used a meat grinder to run English
walnuts through when making canned mincemeat, I can
honestly report that I have no idea whether or not
this would work or not. The factors are that almonds
are very hard and the machines may or may not work
very well. Or they may make a marzipan that is fine
for baking into other things but not the really excellent
sculpting marzipan that one wants for terrific soleties.
And since the ingredients aren't cheap, I'd practice
up on a few batches. You might want to try a quarter
pound in a mortar and pestle as well. Sounds like a
great group experiment night... how many different ways
can we make marzipan?

Johnnae llyn Lewis    Johnna Holloway

Jennifer Whitbeck wrote: Snipped-----