[Sca-cooks] Seville Orange Juice

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Sep 18 18:31:59 PDT 2001

C. Anne Wilson notes that Seville Oranges were
bitter and that early marmalade recipes had to
cope with the sour tang produced by the oils in
the peels. There are other bitter oranges other
than Seville that are used in marmalades anyway.
Wilson also notes that those who find sweet oranges
insipid temper them with lemons or grapefruits.
[see her The Book Of Marmalade].
I'd mix up four or five different mixtures and see
which one worked best with the modern day lean pork
that we get in the modern markets. (Pork the new white
meat where the taste of today is not what it was in
yesteryear.) You might also throw in a few tangerines
or blood oranges if you could get them.
maybe some lemons... 5 0r 6... to add some acid???
Hope this helps. Johnnae llyn Lewis
Johnna Holloway