[Sca-cooks] Seville Orange Juice

Mary Denise Smith costumemag at costumemag.com
Tue Sep 18 19:23:40 PDT 2001

<johnna holloway wrote: C. Anne Wilson notes that Seville Oranges were
bitter and that early marmalade recipes had to cope with the sour tang
produced by the oils in the peels.>

Um,  I certainly can be misremembering it, since it is 20 years removed
from my days as an historic interpreter in the old section of St
Augustine, but I recall it was the meat of the oranges that was
bitter/sour, rather than the peels. The peels were no more bitter than
modern oranges, but the flesh was a real tongue twister.

MD/Marged