OT sumptuary was Re: [Sca-cooks] Authenticity Police: since we're castigating extremists anywa...

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Sep 18 23:00:57 PDT 2001

hey all from Anne-Marie

its important to remember three things:

1. nothing is reserved by corpora per se (check it out at
http://www.sca.org/docs/OrgHandbook20010605.pdf), but there are some things
that are strong tradition, and things that are discussed by the Heralds.
2. having heraldry reserved is not the same thing as not being able to wear
it (that that its a GOOD idea either, mind you....)
3. each kingdom is different

and lastly, treat everyone with respect and dignity regardless of degree
and what they have on their head. They could be a duke, or they could be
some hapless new guy who thought that shiney hat was purdy :).

In my basic protocol classes, I always tell folks that nothing is reserved
for sure, but if they wear some stuff (white belt, spurs, shiney hats with
points on 'em, etc) people might get confused thinking they're something
they're not.

AnTir has no sumptuary laws at this time, thank Goodness!

--AM (who always says that sumptuary law has loopholes. Sumptuary custom
does not. And I was AMAZED at the variety and apparent importance of such
things at Pennsic!)