[Sca-cooks] Jannissary Cooks

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Wed Sep 19 01:34:47 PDT 2001

"Craig Jones." schrieb:

> ""
> ""The "folded sleeve" Janissary hat has a special brass holder in the
> ""front for an elaborate plume or for a wooden spoon. Among the most
> ""respected members of a particular group of Janissaries were the two
> ""men who carried the HUGE bronze/copper cooking pot. They had a
> ""specific outfit so they were readily identified.
>
> Wasn't there a rank of Janissary officer called a Corbasi (Soup
> maker)?  Can anyone confirm this?

The table of organisation of the Janissary Corps I
work off (Hans Miksch, I don't really know how
good he is) gives the following officer ranks:

Aga - tactical commander of the Orta (roughly
batallion equivalent)

Djorbajibashi (head soup cook) - administrative
officer in charge of the Orta

Kethuda and Obadashi - tactical officers
subordinate to the Aga

Adjibashi (head cook), Sakkabashi (head water
bearer) and Wekelikhardj (food fund manager) -
administrative officers subordinate to the
Djorbajibashi

I distinctly recall seeing large spoons being
worn/carried by janissary officers as a badge of
rank, and the subordinate tactical units were
designated as 'messes' sharing a cookpot in the
field, whence its symbolic significance.

I wonder if anyone would agree to creating a
Janissary household?

(Sensing military career opprtunities)

Giano