[Sca-cooks] OT Authenticity Police: since we're castigating extremistsanyway...

Tara tsersen at nni.com
Wed Sep 19 08:22:53 PDT 2001

> Actually screaming colours were definatetly in during parts of the period in
> which we play.  I for one can wear not only bright colours but mid-calf
> tunic style dresses being 9th century Welsh/Saxon.  One reason why I picked
> that century is because I can wear long, short, pants, colours, rags (which
> is what I usually have on - hey, I'm a cook why wear the good stuff?).  Tie
> dye is also within period as I learned from Kiri.

Oh, I know bright screaming colors were perfectly possible... but I have
a hard time seeing neon green polyester as period.  I know some of the
brilliant colors that can come out of madder, weld and saffron.  Some
really bright pinks are within the realm of possibility.  But, "hot
pink"?

Is tie-dye period for anywhere other than Japan?  I haven't seen it, but
would love to know.

-Magdalena