[Sca-cooks] OT Authenticity Police: dye colours.

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Thu Sep 20 06:38:31 PDT 2001

In a word, "yes." There are a number of late period garments and
portraits that feature very strong, bright colors--not fluorescent, but
awfully eye-catching.  The two that I recall right at the moment are a
portrait of Elizabeth I as an early teen--the dress is this amazing hot
pink/orangey color.  And there's a doublet in Janet Arnold's Patterns of
Fashion (vol. 2) which has apple green silk in the lining.....Also,
there is textual evidence of other colors.  If you want more specifics,
feel free to contact me off-line.
--Maire
OFC: Thinking of the folks who've suggested giving food gifts to _local_
emergency workers, I took 2 loaves of fresh pound cake over to the fire
station our Barony frequently uses for meetings (they have a public
meeting room).  Geez, that stuff smells good when it's cooking at 7 a.m.
;-)