[Sca-cooks] Gjetost and stockfish

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 20 13:43:56 PDT 2001

Elizabeth A Heckert wrote:

>      Thank you for the help with the stockfish.  I'm going to
> civilisation this weekend, so I will have to get some more to practice
> with!

Sorry, I realized you had asked how to do it, and that I didn't mention
that. Various medieval recipes speak of using a mallet; what I've found
to be a good way to do it is to use a light wooden rolling pin. You
don't want to bear down on it with your weight. Um, you're kinda
spanking it, not crushing it. Using your wrist, the way you might use a
cleaver to chop meat for meatballs or something, just strike across the
fish, or the fillet, and along its length, as if you were scoring it
with parallel lines across the fish. Make sure you strike it flat with
your rolling pin or mallet; you want the impact spread out a bit so you
don't put holes in the fish. Like a veal or chicken cutlet, it will
begin to spread itself wider across your board. Your finished product
should, ideally, be a large, puffy, fibrous-looking piece of fish,
looking just a bit like a scrunger pad you might use to scrub dishes or
pots.

Note that some products labelled stockfish are sold as skinless,
boneless fillets, and in some cases are perhaps freeze-dried. These
require less beating.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy