[Sca-cooks] Gjetost and stockfish

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Sep 20 22:32:54 PDT 2001

Adamantius said:
> Elizabeth A Heckert wrote:
> >      Thank you for the help with the stockfish.  I'm going to
> > civilisation this weekend, so I will have to get some more to practice
> > with!
>
> ... what I've found
> to be a good way to do it is to use a light wooden rolling pin. You
> don't want to bear down on it with your weight. Um, you're kinda
> spanking it, not crushing it. Using your wrist, the way you might use a
> cleaver to chop meat for meatballs or something, just strike across the
> fish, or the fillet, and along its length, as if you were scoring it
> with parallel lines across the fish.
<snip>

Thank you! This will be a big help to me also. I've bought some stockfish
from an oriental market, definitely not the boned, skinned type. This
will help me quite a lot when I try to use these fish for one of the
period stockfish recipes.

I think my stockfish are a bit curled. I'll have to see if this
pounding helps straighten them out some.

I think I've got a metal/composite rolling pin. Guess I need to get
a wooden one and maybe a wooden mallet.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net