[Sca-cooks] Simple and Authentic

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Sep 20 14:09:03 PDT 2001

I've been reading the Authenticity Police thread, and noticed someone
commenting on the confusion between elaborate and authentic--people
saying "I can't wear authentic clothes to Pennsic because I don't
want to get my silk velvet muddy". I have also noticed from time to
time (not generally here) people saying they can't do authentic food
because authentic means expensive and elaborate.

So, what are people's favorite really simple period dishes? Mine is
the "Cooked Dish of Lentils" from one of the 13th c. Andalusian
cookbooks. The full recipe is in the Miscellany, but basically it is
lentils, onion, spices, water, oil in a pot; cook until almost done;
add more oil or butter, vinegar, salt; break some eggs on top; cook
until eggs are done.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook