[Sca-cooks] Simple and Authentic

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Sep 20 15:05:08 PDT 2001

david friedman wrote:

> I've been reading the Authenticity Police thread, and noticed someone
> commenting on the confusion between elaborate and authentic--people
> saying "I can't wear authentic clothes to Pennsic because I don't
> want to get my silk velvet muddy". I have also noticed from time to
> time (not generally here) people saying they can't do authentic food
> because authentic means expensive and elaborate.

I quite agree- my favorite and most authentic clothes are really quite
simple (Houppelandes rock! Especially if they're orange!). Throwing on
scads of expensive trim does not make a garment more period- it simply
makes it more expensive.

> So, what are people's favorite really simple period dishes? Mine is
> the "Cooked Dish of Lentils" from one of the 13th c. Andalusian
> cookbooks. The full recipe is in the Miscellany, but basically it is
> lentils, onion, spices, water, oil in a pot; cook until almost done;
> add more oil or butter, vinegar, salt; break some eggs on top; cook
> until eggs are done.

Ooh.. num num num...

Armoured turnips
Funges
Cormarye
Loseyns and Macrows
Icelandic Chicken

That's off the top of my head- oddly, it's all stuff that is frequently
seen on our table in camp...

'Lainie