[Sca-cooks] Seville Orange Juice

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Sep 20 14:30:00 PDT 2001

Anahita asks:

>There's a 16th c. recipe for Seville Orange Juice Sauce, in Marx
>Rumpolt's Ein New Kochbuch, that calls for the fresh juice of
>Sauerpomeranzen (Seville oranges), sugar, and cinnamon, uncooked. I'd
>like to serve it with roast pork legs at the Boar Hunt Feast.
>However, fresh Seville Oranges are hard to find any time of year. I
>have seen them at a local market, but they are only briefly
>available, and aren't around now.
>
>Anyone have any idea what i can use instead?
>
>I have thought of:
>diluted strained orange marmalade (since it's made of Seville oranges)
>fresh orange juice and fresh grapefruit juice mixed
>fresh orange juice in which orange peels have been soaked

I wouldn't use marmelade, that's more sugar than anything else.  You
may be able to get Seville oranges by December, given that they are a
winter fruit. I would go to the place you have found them in the past
and ask when they come into season. If you like, I can ask the same
question at Cosentino's (the best fruit and vegetable place near us).
We have a three-foot-high sour orange tree which Cariadoc planted,
but it hasn't produced any fruit yet.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook