[Sca-cooks] Simple and Authentic

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Sep 20 23:57:47 PDT 2001

Misha said:
> In a message dated 09/20/2001 6:37:46 PM, Alban at socket.net writes:
> << >So, what are people's favorite really simple period dishes?
>
> A chunk of medium-rare beef, a hunk of bread, and some well-made
> cheese. (And a touch of salt and maybe pepper, if I'm in the mood.)
> A good apple, too, for dessert, as long as it's not one of those
> thrice-be-damned Red Delicious or Golden Delicious monstrosities.
> <grin>
>
> Alban >>
>
> I have to agree. Get a nice hunk of medium rare roast beef or steak (cause
> you know we Russians don't like them puny pieces of meat the English and the
> French call dinner), a nice hunk of Feta Cheese, some bread, olives,dried
> fish, and Misha's homemade pirozhki warm from the oven. Now THATS a meal and
> very simple at that.

Uh, Misha, do you have any evidence that this would be period Russian
food? Were goats common in Russia? I have no idea. Or is feta cheese
from sheep milk? But even more, I doubt olives will grow there, at
least in what I think were the period boundaries of Russia. Would
they import them? I don't think so. I don't think they show up in
English texts. And shipping them to England would be easier than to
Russia.

Anyone else have any comments yea or nay on this?

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net