[Sca-cooks] Simple and Authentic

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com
Fri Sep 21 13:47:58 PDT 2001

In a message dated 9/21/01 2:58:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

> Uh, Misha, do you have any evidence that this would be period Russian
>  food? Were goats common in Russia? I have no idea. Or is feta cheese
>  from sheep milk? But even more, I doubt olives will grow there, at
>  least in what I think were the period boundaries of Russia. Would
>  they import them? I don't think so. I don't think they show up in
>  English texts. And shipping them to England would be easier than to
>  Russia.
>
>  Anyone else have any comments yea or nay on this?

My persona is a traveler and a son of a wealthy Italian merchant (which would
make my persona a quarter Russian, quarter German, and half Italian). And I
wasn't thinking so much of the periodicity of it. I would think olives in
Russia would be period because Rus was located near the Mediterranean and
didn't part of the Ottoman EMpire reside in the Balkans which could have
introduced the olive?

Misha