[Sca-cooks] Return of the Wanderer (partly OT)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Sep 22 22:06:06 PDT 2001

Brighid ni Chiarain said:
> On a more cheerful note, I still managed to have a great time.  We
> ate mostly pub grub, which was generally very good.  In the
> seaside town of Dingle, our fish and chips were slow in arriving,
> because the fish had just come in, and needed to be filleted.  I tried
> a variety of local cheeses, became fond of Irish breakfasts,

Is this "Irish breakdast" something in particular? or do you just mean
the breakfasts you had in Ireland? Either way, what did you have
that you liked?

What were the "pub grub" items that you had that you liked? disliked?

> I also saw several of those ancient cooking pits, which use hot
> stones dropped in water to cook meat.  The accompanying sign
> explained that scientists had tested the method.  They were able
> to bring 70 gallons of water to a boil in 18 minutes, and it remained
> hot enough to cook meat for 3 hours.

Wow! Maybe we ought to adapt this for cooking even in modern feast
kitchens. How long does it take to bring 70 gallons of water to
a boil on even an institutional range?

If you have recommendations on medieval points of interest in Ireland
that I can add to my Ireland-msg file, I'd love to have them so that
other can learn from or at least enjoy vicariously your experience.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net