[Sca-cooks] Re: Definition of "interesting" animals...

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Sun Sep 23 17:44:41 PDT 2001

>Having lived my 34 years upon earth in Australia and having only ever
>encountered some pythons & tree snakes (not deadly); some red back spiders
>(not deadly to adults - mildly bad for children if not treated within 24
>hours) and some ravin' yobbos [flannalette shirts; ugg boots etc] I can
>advise you all that the venomous snakes & Spiders aren't partial to suburbia
>or cities and mostly bite due to being stepped on or cornored...

Well, I only stayed a year Down Under.  During that time, I've encountered
numerous red belly black snakes, and "brownies".  Might have had to do with
my jaunt canoeing on the Murray River from Albury to Adelaide (well, nearly
that far).  7 weeks on the river, "gone bush".  Also saw lots of cool
stuff, like wedged tail eagles, platypus (two of them, actually,
platypii???), endless 'roos.

>anyone know of good snake recipes?

Snake is one of the few things I've not personally cooked.  But!  While on
the river a couple days above Mildura, we came accross a group of white
folks and aborigenes.  They offered BBQ'ed snake, I accepted, and it was
delicious.  I don't think there was much there done, other than skinned and
put on the coals.

>>Do >you
>>really want to put on shoes where spiders, that kill a human with >one
>>bite, like to rest inside?

Actually, would put socks inside out over boots opening.  :-)

Muiredach mac Loloig
Rokkehealden Shire
aka
Nicolas Steenhout