[Sca-cooks] anything like period fig newtons?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Sep 24 08:59:34 PDT 2001

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]
And the Tourteletes in fryture from Curye on Inglysch are very similar to fig
newtons:

157.  Tourteletes in fryture.  Take figus & grynde hem smal; do therein
saffron & powdur fort.  Close hem in foyles of dowe, & frye hem in oyle.
Claryfye hony & flamme hem therewht; ete hem hote or colde.

157.  Tourteletes in fryture(Ground figs in pastry).  Take figs and grind them
small; add saffron and poudre fort.  Enclose them in sheets of dough and fry
them in oil.  Clarify honey and baste them.  Eat either hot or cold.

Redaction: makes 16 pieces

10 Dried figs     1 egg white
1 pinch Saffron     1 tsp. oil
¼ tsp. Poudre Fort    3 tsp. honey
16 Won Ton wrappers

1.  Grind figs, then add saffron and poudre fort.
2.  Place a tsp of mixture in the center of a wrapper, fold over and seal with
egg whites.
3.  Oven fry with oil until lightly browned.
4.  Remove from oven and drizzle honey over them.

Note:  As with the raviolis above, I have used won ton wrappers, as they are
approximately the same kind of dough, and are a major time-saver.

Also, instead of deep frying them, I have oven-fried them, again in the
interest of saving time
but it has approximately the same effect.

Kiri

Sue Clemenger wrote:

Cuskeynoles? <g>
--Maire