[Sca-cooks] anything like period fig newtons?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Sep 26 00:18:20 PDT 2001

>  > CAT FIGHT! CAT FIGHT!     Chirhart(Comfortably sitting in the bleachers
>>  Sipping on an RC cola and eating fig Newton's that ant period)
>
>This got me to thinkin. We have discussed figs here and a few period
>recipes using them. (see figs-msg) And they did make pastes of
>some fruits for pastry fillings, seem to remember.
>
>Is there any evidence for period filled pastries, perhaps even
>something like a fig newton?

Ryschewys Closed and Fried
Two Fifteenth Century p. 45/97

Take figs, and grind them small in a mortar with a little oil, and
grind with them cloves and maces; and then take it up into a vessel,
and cast thereto pines, saunders and raisons of corinth and minced
dates, powdered pepper, canel, salt, saffron; then take fine paste of
flour and water, sugar, saffron and salt, and make fair cakes
thereof; then roll thine stuff in thine hand and couch it in the
cakes and cut it, and fold them in ryshews, and fry them up in oil;
and serve forth hot.

[end of original recipe]

25 black mission figs	1/3 c currants	pastry:
2 t oil	5 1/2 oz dates		2 c flour
1 t cloves	1/8 t pepper		1/2 c water
1 t maces	1 t cinnamon		1 T sugar
1/4 c pine nuts	1/4 t salt		1/8 t salt
1/4 t saunders	4 threads saffron		1 thread saffron

Then too, cuskynoles have figs in them. I don't make them like fig
newtons, but ...   .
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/