[Sca-cooks] Corn, was Return of the Wanderer (partly OT)

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 24 13:35:30 PDT 2001

Either you are getting field corn rather than sweet corn, or it is not
as fresh as it should be (well, it should be picked about 5 minutes
before you eat it, but most of us can't manage that... at least fresh
that day) or quite possibly both. Field corn is starchy. That is how you
make corn meal, and it also is used as animal feed. (Probably different
strains, I don't know that much.) Up in the country, I'm used to seeing
a field of corn grown for cattle feed, with 2 rows around it of sweet
corn grown for personal use and sale at a farm stand. They're selected
to pollinate at different times, so the sweet corn doesn't get mealy.

Anne