[Sca-cooks] Return of the Wanderer (partly OT)

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Mon Sep 24 11:28:22 PDT 2001

Stefan li Rous schrieb:

> Giano said:
> > > And, on the other hand, an Irish breakfast can also simply be a
> > > breakfast eaten in Ireland, and it might be porridge with brown bread, etc.
> >
> > Cornflakes and OJ, if my days at Trinity Dublin
> > are any guide :-)
>
> There have been comments here before about Europeans, to this day,
> not eating corn (maize). Were these corn flakes made from maize or
> from something else, wheat, barley?

Plain straightforward Kellog's. No, we eat corn
all right - I can get tortillas, doritos, corn on
the cob, canned sweetcorn and popcorn at the local
grocery and polenta and cornflour at more
out-of-the-way places. It still has a bit of an
exotic cachet (especially corn on the cob, which
costs between 50 cents and a dollar an ear in
season and is unaffordable out of it) or the taint
of swinefood, depending on whoi you ask, but it's
available. My real problem is that most kinds of
corn grown over here seem to be on the mealy side.

Giano