[Sca-cooks] How old are drinking straws?

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Sep 24 17:22:16 PDT 2001

In a message dated 9/24/2001 12:51:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mark.s.harris at motorola.com writes:

> That made me wonder just how early drinking straws are?
> Were they used in medieval times? Even if used in Classical
> times this wouldn't necessarily indicate use in the Middle Ages.
> Anyone know? While of course plastic ones are modern they
> can be made of other materials, paper, metal, glass, reeds.

There are some metal straws apparently used for drinking sacramental wine in
the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.  I'm afraid I don't remember
exactly what century or culture they are from, but they were in the medieval
rooms.  I believe the theory had something to do with it being sacrilegious
to spill even a drop of consecrated wine, and the straw helped prevent
spilling.

Brangwayna Morgan