[Sca-cooks] How old are drinking straws?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Sep 24 21:24:38 PDT 2001

Daniel Raoul said:
> My copy of "Wassail! In Mazers of Mead" G.R. Gayre Phillimore & Sons. Ltd.
> London 1948, page 31 figures 2 & 3 shows line drawings of "Beer drinking
> through tubes in ancient Babylonia" and "Bottling Beer by syphon in Ancient
> Egypt."  Unforunately it does not give a reference to their sources.

Thanks. I don't think I remember anyone mentioning this book previously.
It sounds like it might be good for researching some other things like
wassail, mazers and mead.

So what kinds of things does it cover? What is your opinion of it?

I assume that is long out of print, though.

All of the mentions of straws are still ancient ones, though. Were they
not used in Europe or in period?

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net