[Sca-cooks] Yuan Chinese Cookery class at Pennsic

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Sep 25 07:43:14 PDT 2001

Yes, I went, and it was quite good.  The lady emphasized a very salient
point, that one must always consider the culture of the time and place
when considering what might have been done in period.  This is most
especially true in the Far East.  If you question whether classical
Chinese dishes might have been served to the Khan...probably not.  They
don't seem to have appreciated the delicacies that the Chinese did...in
fact, in their writings, often refer to them as "effiminate".  etc., etc.
She talked a bit about what foods were available and when, etc.

As to how to contact her, I am not sure.  You might try asking Dame Alys
Katherine, as she took all of the contact information from those of us who
taught classes.

Kiri