[Sca-cooks] Figs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Sep 25 08:03:44 PDT 2001

Ted Eisenstein wrote:
>>Although, to be honest, the idea of Dr. Atkins' suggestion of
>>deep-fried, bacon-wrapped cheddar chunks makes me want to heave until my
>>toes are sticking out my mouth...
>>

> I am given to understand that Rumor Has It that the sale of fried pork
> rinds has been higher than it used to be, because more people are eating
> a low-carb higher-than-usual-fat-and-protein diet.
> I'd _much_ prefer bacon-wrapped cheese nibbles than fried pork rinds - but
> then, my stomach doesn't reject much other than baked beans. . .

This only because many low-carb dieters have not caught on to the
glories of the properly fried chicharrone, which is strips of marinated,
scored, rind-on pork belly, usually about one or two inches square by
about seven inches long (I hear that some use rind and fat only, but
this is a bit much, I think) fried until brittle on the outside, moist
and tender inside. The marinade usually involves annatto, garlic, and
lime juice, possibly some cumin.

It's a bit much for some people, but not quite so in-your-face as the
deep-fried bacon-wrapped cheese, especially with a salad.

As for deep-fried Mars Bars, I can only say, "Superintendent Parrot ate
one of those..."

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy