[Sca-cooks] Chestnuts, candy making supplies.

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue Sep 25 11:00:23 PDT 2001

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 phoenissa at netscape.net wrote:

> I have to admit, I like the waxed paper-cookie sheet idea better :-)  Although I was also wondering if a drying rack like you use for cookies would also work?  (With paper underneath it of course.)
> The marble sounds lovely, and I would certainly love one of those in the future, if candy-making proves successful enough that I would do it again :-)  However, I feel the need to point out (I can't remember if I ever did before) that I am a full-time college student with no car (not to mention a limited budget and *very* limited free time), so while I love hearing all suggestions, I think I'm only going to act on "home-remedy"-type advice :-)
>
> Vittoria
> who is going to try to sneak in the next stage in candy-making between classes today! :-)

Chestnuts are small enough that you really want to put them on something
solid. Besides, cookie racks are darned hard to clean.

Grandpa used wooden boards wrapped with that vinyl oilcloth stuff (like
you use for tablecloths) to rest the finished candies on, when he did
candy. You wrap the board like it was a present, and staple the oilcloth
to the wood on the wrong side. Then you can just wash it off when you're
done.

Margaret