[Sca-cooks] good hot soup!

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Sep 25 22:21:24 PDT 2001

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> OFC: Having gotten what is probably Lainie's cold (wasn't she *sniffing*
> a while ago?), I've made myself a pot of chicken soup...lots of fresh
> chicken, onions, garlic, celery, carrots.  In about 10 mins., I'll add
> fresh parsley, thyme, celery seed, maybe a little oregano, and some egg
> noodles.....yummmmmm

I'm nearly always sniffly, but I don't remember being more sniffly than
usual...

You soup sounds yummy. Last night while in the Reading Room I was
perusing the latest issue of Fine Cooking. In the back cover is a recipe
for what looked like a pretty good soup... so of course I tinkered with
it. It came out really good.

'Lainie's Red and Green Soup

1 T or so olive oil
7-8 cloves garlic, smooshed through press

Saute the garlic, then dump in

1 can chicken broth (hindsight says I shoulda used two, but I didn't
know ahead of time.)
2 can stewed tomatoes
1 can small white beans, drained

Heat for a bit, then tear up most of a bunch of spinach, toss in the
pot. Add a good fist full of basil, torn up a bit. Toss in a bit of
oregano and rosemary. Simmer until the greens are cooked. Serve with
fresh parmesan strewn over the top and hunks of French bread. Yummy!

And my hands still smell good...

'Lainie