[Sca-cooks] OT - How to eat a Mars bar . . .

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Mon Sep 24 22:19:59 PDT 2001

>> Or at the very least; set aflame.  Yeah...go there...mmmmm
>I've had freeze-dried ice cream but never flaming ice cream. I assume
>you douse it with some kind of liquor. Brandy? Vodka? I also assume
>that is stay lit only long enough for entertainment effects and not
>long enough to melt the ice cream. Details, please.

The one restaurant I had flaming ice cream in was Chinese, so other
places might do it differently - but. . . The ice cream was encased in some
sort of dough, and then deep-fried to make a puffy sort of thing. The liqueur
wasn't vodka; I believe it was of a flavor suitable to enhance both the
dough and the ice cream inside - so tutti-frutti ice cream would have a
liqueur different from, oh, coffee ice cream.
And the fire stayed lit long enough to burn itself out, which was usually
just long enough to get it to the table, everone to "oooooh!" - and then
grab their spoons to dig in.

Alban