[Sca-cooks] Purslane?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 26 15:05:32 PDT 2001

Laurie Hupman wrote:
> I'm sure this has been answered before, but what's
> purslane?  Where can I find some?  Is there a
> reasonable substitute?

Purslane is a succulent (as in pulpy, water storing, like cacti) green
herb that looks something like a jade plant. Its flavor is, as I recall,
fairly neutral, maybe a little like spinach. If you're using it in
conjunction with several other greens, as in a mixed salad or an
herbolade or something, it's probably safe to omit it if you can't find it.

My major experience with it is from when they used to include it as part
of the mesclun salad greens.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy