[Sca-cooks] Regretable foods.... OOP

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Sep 26 15:04:40 PDT 2001

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 26-Sep-101 Re: [Sca-cooks]
Regretable .. by "Daniel Phelps"@gate.net
> >I _wish_ I could find that recipe someone once posted on another list for,
> ummmm,
> >jellied moose lips, I think it was. Either that, or jellied moose cheeks. .
> .
>

> Pickled moose nose perhaps?  I ran across the recipe many years ago but
> never kept a copy.  Its supposed to be a Canadian/Alaskan delicacy.

Don't know about pickled moose nose, but one of our family stories
concerns my parents in Alaska back in 1955, and a certain moose goolash
that even the dog wouldn't eat.

On topic, to change things slightly, ever made something that you
thought looked and smelled and (if you could bring yourself to taste it)
tasted vile, but everyone else seemed to love?  I made favetta (fava
bean paste tartlets) once--it looked and smelled like something the dog
left on the front yard.  I was about to throw it away when my husband,
Mr "if it's beans, it better be in chile" came in and demanded to try
it.  He loved it, so since it was a test feast recipe, I served it at
the feast.  Didn't get any back, but never understood why--I still can't
stomach the smell of the stuff. It's not even like zuchinni or liver,
which I don't like, but I can tell when it tastes and smells right.....

toodles, margaret