[Sca-cooks] Purslane?

phoenissa at netscape.net phoenissa at netscape.net
Wed Sep 26 18:21:56 PDT 2001

Laurie Hupman <roswtr at yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm sure this has been answered before, but what's
>purslane?  Where can I find some?  Is there a
>reasonable substitute?
>
>Rose

Hi Rose,
Purslane is an herb with thick green leaves and reddish-colored stems.  I find it tastes kind of watery and uninteresting, but it's a nice addition to salads.  (It probably would not need to be replaced if you leave it out of a recipe.)  You don't see it in supermarkets much, but back in LA we used to find it at Middle Eastern grocers.  Last week, though, I saw some at the farmers' market and at the Berkeley Bowl - I don't know if you've ever been there, but I'm convinced it's the world's best grocery store :-)  (I once counted 14 varieties of radishes there...)
If you want I can send a little bunch of it with someone to Coronet this weekend, so you can see what it looks like :-)  Then you can see if it's available at stores in your area...

Vittoria
(yep, I'm on this list too...you can't escape! <g>)