[Sca-cooks] Regretable foods...

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Sep 27 06:15:12 PDT 2001

I remembered the one truly regrettable food experience I've had in the
SCA- and it was sort of second hand...

I'd been in about a year, and I'd made garb for my husband and all three
of my kids, and we went up to a little archery tournament being held in
the mountains about an hour away, by a neighboring branch. The kids had
a blast- youngest was toddling around in her diapers (she's taller than
me now...) and Cute Lil' Annie was curtseying to everyone. The spousal
unit was grumpy about having to wear weird clothes, but he borrowed a
bow and shot for awhile and (I thought) had a good time. I was just
soaking everything in (you remember your first year?...)

There was a potluck in the evening, in this big beautiful lodge- open on
one side so you could see the eric. I had brought a fruit tray or
something because it was an outdoor event and I wasn't bringing anything
but a picnic basket. There was one table full of pies- they were there
all day, and I assumed they were fruit. They weren't. When I went
through the food line with the kids I discovered that they were meat
pies- shepherd's pies with gravy and such inside. The Lizard Brain said
'Hmmm... been out all day- think I'll pass'. I fed the kids on stuff I
knew was ok.

Husband apparently hadn't brought Lizard Brain- he thought the
shepherd's pies were great. Had seconds. And... I don't know about
anyone else that was there that evening, but in the middle of the night
I witnessed what was an obvious case of food poisoning. I almost took
him to ER.

I don't know if it really figured in, but it was the last event that he
went to voluntarily. I almost never eat at potlucks, and this is why.
Hate watching someone else be sick- don't care to do it myself.

'Lainie