[Sca-cooks] Boxes for coolers

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Wed Sep 26 08:54:39 PDT 2001

>> Sometime in the recent past, the list was discussing coolers/ice boxes.
>> Someone posted the web address for boxes that hold Coleman coolers, or
>> are themselves coolers. These boxes were wonderfully painted.

. . . . by the way, a small hint: keep these box coolers a bit off the ground, if
you can. I use a cooler similar to these (i.e., a styrofoam cooler inside a nifty
wood box) at Pennsic, and used to have problems with water collecting
underneath it. It wasn't until I figured out it was condensation, not leakage,
that I did something about it. It now sits on a small stand that allows
for air circulation all around it _and_ underneath: no drippage, no wet spots,
no dampness at all this year. And with it being raised, it's a lot easier to get
into for those of us with strong minds and weak backs. <grin>
Oh, also: put the ice in a large garbage bag that's inside another garbage bag.
Easier to dispose of the water, and you won't wind up soaking the food.

(And if you already know either/both of these, excuse, please. Sometimes such
simple hints aren't as widespread as one would think, so I figure spread them
around just in case.)

Alban