[Sca-cooks] A question of resources

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Sep 28 07:37:24 PDT 2001

Here's another reply to the question of resources.

Chip wrote:
> I've been mostly lurking for about 2 years and submitting the
> occasional squeak when I think I might know the answer.  I've been
> slowly learning about the existence of often-referred-to manuscripts &
> the cultures/times they are from, but while I have found some great
> resources on the web I have yet to find a "definitive" list of the
> Great Primary Sources and the best tranlations of them.
>
> For late period English I know of:
> --Good Hous-wives Treasurie

This is a book published in London in 1588[?]. As far I know, there
is no manuscript source in existence for it.

> --Form of Cury/Cury on Inglishe (I'm still fuzzy on the relationship
> of these two -- one is part of the other?)

The "forme of curie/cury" is a manuscript that was written in the late
14th
century. There are a number of printed versions and reprints (Pegge,
Warner).
The best is CURYE ON INGLYSCH. ENGLISH CULINARY MANUSCRIPTS OF THE
FOURTEENTH CENTURY (INCLUDING THE FORME OF CURY), edited by Hieatt and
Butler in 1985 for Oxford University Press and the E.E.T.S. It has an
excellent bibliography that would give you a number of titles to
explore.

> --Liber Cure Cocorum
 was edited by Richard Morris, London, 1862. It's
a 15th century collection. See:http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/lcc/

> French:
> --Menagier de Paris
Was a manuscript and dates from the 14th century. Available in a
printed edition by J. Pichon in 1846 with reprints following
in 1961, 1963, 1966, 1992.
Also there is an edition by Brereton and Ferrier that Clarendon
Press released in 1981.
Eileen Power translated portions into English in THE GOODMAN OF
PARIS, pub. 1928. An English translation by Janet Hinson may
be found at: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/menagier/

> Italian:
> --Platina
The newest and best edition of Platina's ON RIGHT PLEASURE AND
GOOD HEALTH is the critical edition and translation by Mary
Ella Milham. Tempe, Arizona: Medieval and Renaissance Texts
& Studies, 1988.

> I found mentions of: 2ANCC, liber de couina, Libro di cucina del
> secolo XI but I have zero clue as to their context, culture or time.
 My Main Question (finally!, says they):>
> What are the best, most widely-accepted, widely-used,
> can't-live-without-em translations of the above manuscripts?

I would suggest looking at the bibliographies and sources cited by the
three following books. They are excellent for beginning and advanced
level research and will address your questions of what ANCC etc. are.

Scully, Terence. THE ART OF COOKERY IN THE MIDDLE AGES. 1995.
[Bibliography pages: 257-264]

Hieatt, Constance B. et al. PLEYN DELIT. MEDIEVAL COOKERY FOR
MODERN COOKS. Second edition. 1996. [Bibliography: 163-165]

Redon, Odile et al. THE MEDIEVAL KITCHEN. RECIPES FROM FRANCE
AND ITALY.  English translation 1998. [Bibliography: 257-259]