Mooses [was Re: [Sca-cooks] Regretable foods.... OOP]

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Sep 28 07:51:36 PDT 2001

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> First off, have my posts been failing to wrap at 72 characters? Naughty
> Mozilla! Somebody please let me know if this is the case... they appear
> sometimes not to wrap for me when composing, but when I get them back
> via the list, they usually do. But then the below did not, so, I should
> be wondering.

Well, I read through a shell account on a Linux box using PINE, which is
extremely unforgiving WRT formatting. When I *read* the post, it's
wrapping just fine. When I *reply*, that's when it wanders off into the
sunset.

> > [OB food content: So if moose is a native European species, we could serve
> > moose at a feast. Imagine spit-roasting an entire moose...]
>
> If they had not become extinct in Europe in period. Actually, I STR they
> existed in Ireland at some point; they would probably do that potboiler
> thing with the hot rocks. On the other hand, their presence as a known
> concept might not indicate that they were there and could be eaten. For
> example, the Sutton Hoo Ship Burial has some drinking horns taken from
> the aurochs, which is believed to have been extinct (and may have been)
> by the approximate time of the burial (7th-8th C. C.E.?)

You can get fossil ivory that's been recovered from mammoths frozen in the
tundra and such--if the aurochs were indeed extinct, then the horns might
have been picked up that way. Or, maybe they were passed down through the
generations.

Margaret