[Sca-cooks] Marble slabs

Tara tsersen at nni.com
Fri Sep 28 08:58:28 PDT 2001

> My smaller marble slab weighs 22 pounds. Just
> weighed it to make sure. This one is 16x20;
> it's 3/4 inch thick.  Johnna Holloway
> Johnnae llyn Lewis

Ouch, by that, I estimate that a 24"x24"x2" slab of marble would weigh
105.6 lbs (see calculation below.)  I don't know how much granite weighs
relative to marble, but I imagine it's not vastly different.  Yeah, I
could lift that... but, I wouldn't want to be doing so on a regular
basis.  I think I'd vote for 1" thick, which would be 52.8 lbs,
especially if you can get it inexpensively at a salvage yard.  It seems
to me that at that thickness, it would still be very resistant to
cracking.  It would take a good deal of time to heat through 1" of solid
granite, which would allow time for the heat to diffuse evenly.

-Magdalena

Calculation:
16" x 20" x 3/4" = 240 cubic inches
22 lbs / 240 cubic inches = 9.1667x10^-2 lbs/cubic inch
24" x 24" x 2" = 1152 cubic inches
1152 cubic inches * 9.1667x10^-2 lbs/cubic inch = 105.6 lbs