[Sca-cooks] Re: Marble slabs

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Fri Sep 28 01:20:36 PDT 2001

The query arose:
>Anybody out there have any experience with granite?  I have all-tile
>counter tops in my kitchen, and have considered removing some (Say 12x18
>inches) and replacing them with a piece of granite.  It should surely be
>possible set hot pans on them, and it should serve well for rolling out
>pastry.
I use granite drill-cores for rolling pins.  They're incredibly pretty
(speckled rock surface), but _very_ brittle - fall in half if you tap them.
 (I lost one to an impromptu kitchen "rapier" battle with two rolling pins,
by members of my household - one light tap did it).  I'm not sure if that's
a by-product of the drilling process or the nature of the stone, but you
might want to be slightly more careful of dropping heavy things sharply
onto a granite surface, it seems to be a lot more brittle than marble.

JdH
Lady Jehanne de Huguenin (Jessica Tiffin) * Drachenwald Kingdom Chronicler
Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town, South Africa
melisant at iafrica.com ***  http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.