[Sca-cooks] Help with German Mushroom Recipes

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Fri Sep 28 13:44:24 PDT 2001

"Decker, Terry D." schrieb:

> Gebraten generally means to roast, while brat is a general term for a roast.
> Usually there are adjectives, adverbs, prefixes and suffixes to determine
> precisely what is meant.
>
> Bear
>
> > Also, what does the verb "brat/gebraten" mean?

The verb in modern German is 'braten' (to roast or
fry, with the distinctions being blurry). 'brat'
most probably is a second person singular
imperative variation and in modern German would
read 'brate'. 'gebraten' is the past participle
and can either function as part of the perfect
tenses or as a quasi-adjective. If you give me the
sentence I may be able to help.

Giano