[Sca-cooks] pans

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 30 20:59:01 PDT 2001

Lady Marion MacGregor asked:
> I have been in quite a few kitchens and have never used a "non stick=
> " in a proffesional kitchen before (or in a SCA one)   Is this just "by cha=
> nce?"  Is there a difference between using a non-stick vs a metal pan?   wi=
> lll it enhance flavor?  or is it just personal prefence?

I think you will find folks who prefer the non-stick coated pans for
some things and others who prefer cast iron for instance.

The reason you don't find non-stick coated pans in institutional kitchens
may have more to say about the expected abuse the pans will get than
which type cooks the best. How do you keep some one from attacking your
non-stick pans with a metal utensil or trying to clean them with a
brillo
pad?

Various disasters of this type have been detailed on this list and
various threats to folks who abuse someone's non-stick pans this way have
also been detailed, whether a well-seasoned iron skillet or a synthetic
coating.

After learning to cook better omelettes at Pennsic 29, I went out and
bought a brand new non-stick omelette pan and it gets washed quickly and
put away after I use it, so my wife doesn't have a chance to try to
clean
it with a brillo pad. They do indeed seem to work a whole lot better
without scratches or half the coating missing. :-)

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net