[Sca-cooks] Re: rose vinegar period recipe (no redaction) long

Louise Smithson smithson at mco.edu
Mon Apr 1 04:56:41 PST 2002

Stefan wrote:
However, I have one question. The recipe talks of using
"rose leaves", not "rose petals". Would this work using rose
leaves? Or is the author really speaking of petals when he
says "leaves"? I note that in the comments about Elderne
(Elderberry?), he says "flowers" not "leaves".
The way I read it we are talking about blooms here.  Mainly because the
recipe talks about using them before they are blown.  Roses are blown
when they are fully opened.  And botanically they are leaves, just
modified, the actual flower of a rose is that little bit down the
bottom.  The essential oils are all in the rose petals itself and the
leaves are just, well green and nasty.
What surprised me is the recipe will take all summer to prepare.
Helewyse