[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #1607 - 12 msgs

Anne du Bosc mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 1 19:59:23 PST 2002

Phlip opined:
> I defy
> ANYONE, to tell the difference in breed between
> two
> different cattle, for example, supposing they
> are of a
> similar type, age, gender, background, and
> nurture,
> all the Yuppie nonsense about the superiority
> of Angus
> beef, to the contrary. Cow is cow, pig is pig,
> chicken
> is chicken, and our minor modifications in body
> shape
> and fat content in the past few hundred years
> are
> nothing like the evolutionary changes across
> millions
> of years. Muscle tissue is muscle tissue,
> regardless.

I beg to differ.  I can easily taste the
difference readily between the taste and texture
of Jersey (richer flavor, slightly coarser
texture) vs. Holstein (slightly blander, slightly
less coarse texture, unfortunate tendency to be
tougher) vs. Angus (less often tough, but bland,
bland, bland.  And the texture is too
homogenized).
As for the "minor modifications in body shape and
fat content" compare a Limousine breed to a
Jersey to a Longhorn.  The Limousine cattle, of
the same gender, on the same feed at the same age
have "double" muscling, and a much lower fat
content than the Jersey.  The Longhorn has much
less fat, and a much "stringier" meat texture.
It's easy to tell the difference.  Selective
breeding is much older than history.  How else
could the Ancient Americans have bred maize?  Why
do domestic pigs reproduce faster and mature at a
younger age and produce much more meat and fat on
the same feed than wild breeds?

=====
Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook