[Sca-cooks] Black salt (was Intro and question)

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Wed Apr 3 18:48:19 PST 2002

>IIRC, "black salt" is halite (regular sodium chloride) with manganese
impurities that give it the black color.

I checked a dozen or so Indian cookbooks laying around here and
couldn't find anything specific.  I've used it and it doesn't taste
like regular salt.

http://www.geocities.com/herbalexporter/miniral.htm
BLACK SALT, SANCHAL SALT
SODIUM SULPHATE MIXED WITH SODIUM CHLORIDE  KALA NAMAK

http://gourmetsleuth.com/saltguide.htm
Black salt named Kala Namak in India, is really a blend of minerals
characterized by a strong sulfur odor.  It is commonly used in snack
foods in North India.

Ranvaig