[Sca-cooks] Peach tart recipe (in Spanish)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 4 14:16:21 PST 2002

Okay, Stefan forwarded back to the list the message Lady Brighid sent
on 5 Feb 2001

>Here's the first peach recipe from Granado.  It's a melon tart, and
>making it with peaches is one of the variations.
>
>Source: Diego Granado, _Libro del arte de cozina_ (Spanish 1599)
>
>Torta de melones
>
>Tomase el melon limpio de la corteza y de la semilla, y que no
>este muy maduro, y cortese a bocadillos, y haganse freyr poco a
>poco con manteca mezclandolo con la cuchara de contino,
>saquese y dexese enfriar, y passese por el colador, y a cada dos
>libros de melon frito an~adansele seys onzas de queso de
>Tronchon or Parmesano y seys onzas de requeson, or queso
>fresco bien majado, seys onzas de queso de Pinto mantecoso una
>onza de canela, media onza de pimienta, seys onzas de azucar,
>diez hiemas de hueuos frescos, o a lo menos seys con las claras,
>y tengasa la cazuela tortera vntada con manteca, con vn ojaldre de
>pasta algo gordo hecho de la flor de la harina, agua rosada, hiemas
>de hueuos, manteca de vacas, y sal, y su tortillon ojaldrado
>alrededor, y pongase dentro la composicion, y hagase cozer en el
>horno con manteca derretida por encima, y en estando casi cozida
>hagase la corteza de azucar, y canela, y en estando cozida
>siruase caliente.  Desta manera se puede hazer de los duraznos y
>aluaricoques, y ciruelas mal maduras.
>

>So, who'd like to tackle this one?  There are some good
>dictionaries online at:
>http://www.diccionarios.com/
>and the 1726 and 1992 RAE dictionaries are at:
>http://www.rae.es/NIVEL1/buscon/AUTORIDAD2.HTM

I don't know Spanish, but it's not hard if you've studied any Romance
language. I couldn't access the dictionaries at the Real Academia
Espanola and the dictionary at diccionarios.com didn't have most of
the words i didn't know, but it did have peaches and plums, and with
them i figured out apricots, and it had hojaldre as puff pastry... i
don't know if it's accurate...

Take the melon clean of the rind and the seeds, and that is not
over ripe, and cut into little mouthfuls, and (haganse - allow?
make?) to fry (little by
little / a little at a time) with lard mixed with spoon (cuchara de
contino - slotted spoon?),
(saquese) and let cool, and pass it through a colander, and for each two
pounds of cooked melon add six ounces of cheese of
Tronchon or Parmesan and six ounces of (Ricotta) or fresh cheese
well mashed, six ounces of cheese of Pinto fatty/full cream, one
ounce of cinnamon, half ounce of pepper, six ounces of sugar,
ten yolks of fresh eggs, or at least six with the whites,
and (tengasa - spread?) the tort pan with lard, with a rich (ojaldre
de pasta - puff pastry) made with wheat flour, rose water, egg yolks
of eggs, butter, and salt, and and your pastry tart pan
around and put in it the composition/mixture, and put to cook in an
oven with melted lard on top and being partly cooked
(hagase - sprinkle?) the top with sugar, and cinnamon, and being cooked
serve hot. In this manner can be made of under ripe peaches and
apricots and plums.

So, what kind of melon what they have used?

-------

Oh! Look! Stefan, maybe you should add this to the Florilegium
Vicente already translated it, shortly after Brighid posted it! And
he knows Spanish!

Melon Torte

Take melon cleaned of the rind and the seeds, and which should not
be very ripe, and cut it into bite-size pieces, and fry them bit by bit
with lard mixing them with a slotted spoon (?),
take them out and let them cool, and pass them through a strainer,
and to each two
pounds of fried melon add six ounces of cheese of
Tronchon or Parmesan and six ounces of curds, or fresh
cheese well mashed, six ounces of fatty Pinto cheese, one
ounce of cinnamon, half an ounce of pepper, six ounces of sugar,
ten fresh egg yolks, or at least six with the whites,
and have the torte pan greased with lard, with a leaf of
somewhat thick dough made with the best flour, rose water, egg yolks,
cow's lard, and salt, and its layered crust
all around (?), and put the mixture in, and let it cook in the
oven with melted lard over it, and when it is almost cooked
make the crust with sugar, and cinnamon,* and when it is cooked
serve it hot.  In this way you can make it with peaches and
apricots, and poorly ripened plums.

*This is similar to de Nola's recipe for Torta Genovesa, which
instructs the cook to sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over the torte as
it is baking to form a crisp layer.

Mind you, this is a quick and dirty translation.  I'm totally faking
"cuchara de contino"; could also be "stir continuously with a spoon".
Sounds yummy, though.  Maybe I'll try this for Queen's Prize next year!  :)

Vicente