[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #1675 - 15 msgs

Lis liontamr at ptd.net
Sun Apr 7 18:27:33 PDT 2002

I'm probably echoing someone else's answer here since I read the list in
Digest format (BTW, I'm back form a 1 year absence. Didja all miss me?).

Endoring is the process of making something look golden, thus all those
recipe for something "dorry", which is a corruption.

An historical cook usually made something look gold/yellow in any of several
ways: paint it with egg yolk or egg yold batter and let it set in the oven,
cook it till it's golden (fried), sprinkle it with something golden (cooked
yolk, golden-cooked almonds), and I believe the last version entails saffron
and/or other colors (Saunders, parsley, spinach juice) depending upon
whether you want red-gold, green-gold, etc....

Confused yet?

Cheers

Aoife

Anne asked us:
So, OK, it is my turn to ask a "Stefan Question".  ;-)   What is
"endoring?" From the context, I take it to be gilding in some manner not
using gold leaf?  (Let's see, endearing, enduring, daring, dire... no,
none of them seem to fit the context...)