[Sca-cooks] Virtual siege cooking

Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au
Mon Apr 8 23:30:51 PDT 2002

I realise this subject may be dead (having been away for a week or so at Rowany Festival I am now trying to fish my way through 85 Sca-cooks digests) but I enjoyed having a good think about the ingredients listed by Sharon and here is what I would cook from the list of ingredients:

1/2 cup chicken livers
1 orange (retain peel for candying)
½ of 1 inch piece of ginger root, fresh.

Make Chicken pate. (now where was that lovely rose and chickn pate recipe..)Mould into individual shapes.

½ cup milk
1/2 cup rice
1/8 cup of sugar
1 egg
Make: Tart of rice.

1 mystery meat (this will be either pork, chicken, or beef, approx. the size
of a small cutlet) (They draw for what they get. For this list, pick one.)
2 carrots,
1 stalk celery
1/4 loaf stale white bread
½ of 1 inch piece of ginger root
4 tsp. bacon fat
2 pieces bacon (uncooked)

Make: pottage.  Finely chop meat and bacon.  Fry in bacon fat with celery.  Add water, ginger and carrot and cook till it be well.  Crumb the bread and add to thicken. (if you can spare a pinch of sugar add it)

1/4 cup lard
1 cup flour (white)

Make: Pastry

1 egg
1/8 cup sugar (white)
1/2 cup cream
1/cup milk
48 raisins

Make: sweet pie/s. Combine eggs, milk, cream, sugar and raisins (that have been plumped in hot water then ground up a little). Pour into coffins of pastry and bake till set.

24 grapes
1/4 cup of sugar
Orange peel

Coat the grapes in sugar.
Boil the orange peel in water until bitterness is gone - finely slice and candy the orange peel.  Use to decorate the tart of rice, and the custard tart.

It may not feed a cast of thousands, but I think everything is pretty much documentable and would be quite yummy.

Kiriel