[Sca-cooks] Old in the SCA, was Hollywood gays

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 12 09:33:37 PDT 2002

Sieggy wrote:
>     Or perhaps the story of the first two Edwards as told from the
>perspective of Piers Gaveston? Though it would have a tragic ending by
>definition . . . For an exceptionally interesting treatment of the subject,
>if only tangentially, I suggest "Flambard's Confession" by Marilyn Durham.
>She was a serious medieval scholar who tried to get into the SCA on my
>recommendation, only to be chased out because she was too old . . .

And, might i ask, how old was she?

We have a very elderly woman, close to 90, who attends events in a
wheel chair. Camping events. Of course, she isn't doing it alone, but
with her grandson and his wife, with whom she lives. People are all
polite to her. Of course, as i mentioned, we have quite a few people
in wheelchairs at camping events - camping in tents. No motorized
ones, that i recall, however, although there's a woman in one in the
Las Vegas area, IIRC.

I know that we have people in their 60's playing in our Kingdom (and
some on this list, too :-), and some older come to the more
"civilized" (indoor) events.

Heck, at the Goth clubs i sometimes go to, i saw a women well in her
70s in a red velvet dress. No one chased her out, either. (i saw her
more than once, too) I'll confess that she wasn't dancing, just
hanging out, but a lot of the Goths i know just hang out and don't
dance, either.

Anahita