[Sca-cooks] blue crabs

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Fri Apr 12 05:08:45 PDT 2002

Sheesh, live down in Norfolk in crabbing season...

When I was working as a security guard on third shift, I used to pay $2 for
a large package of chicken backs, another $3 for the Lynnhaven fishing pier,
and .50 for a bag of ice for the cooler. I already had 3 tidewater traps...

One fun day, I ended up with 9 bushels of blue crabs from about 9 hours of
crabbing off the pier.

I traded all but 1 bushel for:
5 lbs mussels [fresh caught that day]
5 lbs clams
5 lbs oysters
a side of salmon
5 lbs tuna steaks
5 lbs cod

I then threw a clambake for the household [all 18 of us, at that time]

[it helps to be on really good terms with the cook [at that time] of the
Duck Inn ;-) ]
margali

the quote starts here:
Which would, of course, make the cost of the dish prohibitive for most
feasts...even here in southern Maryland where they can be found quite
easily, overfishing has made them very expensive.  So...I may try doing this
at some point for a small group of people, but doing it for a major feast is
probably right out.

Kiri