[Sca-cooks] More Chinese Cooking Stuff

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Sun Apr 14 16:35:02 PDT 2002

>I think he liked your redaction of mastajhi soup:

Wow!  I'm touched.  That's a great compliment.  I'll promise to send
more... :)

Mistress Kiriel and I worked on Green Prawn Rolls (Yumbo), Ark Shells
(a bit tough with pippies, so I'll try wth cockles), and Cooked
Mushrooms (we used Shitakes & Oysters cooked in chicken stock) which
was too bland for my tastes but Kiriel liked it more.

Kiriel and I are divided on whether the Green Prawn Rolls is a dry
dish or a soup.

Anyone have a guess what they are asking for with "Ark Shells".  I
assume Pipis or cockles, perhaps razor shells?

Sorry to tease but I don't have the notes at work, so I'll post the
recipes, redactions and notes tonight (in about 12hrs time)

>Sounds reasonable to me. In fact, I think this version
>is more or less the
>right way to cook the dish. Did he use real Mastajhi?

Yes.  I used real Mastic.  It had the right taste (like pine resin
right?) and was very clear and free of contaminants.

>There is imitation
>stuff around. Yes, this is interesting stuff. Continue
>to forward. I will
>share with Anderson. Buell

Please, that would be nice.

>Since you got such a nice compliment, I thought I'd
>share it with the List ;-) I did tell him you probably
>used real mastajhi, since it's a fairly common
>ingredient in Medieval cookery. I think he's having
>trouble making the mental transition between scholars
>who cook, and cooks who study and frequently redact
>medieval recipes.

Hmmm.  Yeah, I can see where that would be a problem.  I would dearly
love to be able to read chinese so I could help with their project for
that new Yuan Source.  Perhaps they need redactors to help provide
redactions for each recipes (which is the only criticism I have of
"Soup", but yet, I forces me to think more to create my own redactions
rather than being bias by someone else.

>Did you post another redaction? I only saw this one,
>from yesterday.....

That would be the Honey Stuffed Crabs....

Drake.