[Sca-cooks] capon-neck sausage

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Apr 27 00:44:44 PDT 2002

Bear replied to Cindy with:
> >wesels - Liber Cure Cocorum #129, "For wesels". It's a capon-neck sausage
> >or small haggis-like dish, but what does the name come from?
>
> Wesel is an obsolete form of weasel.  It's also a German city, one of the
> Hanseatic League.  So, it is possible that, these resemble a weasel or
> originate in Wesel.

Thank you. This was my initial guess also. Sort of like "hot dog"
or "frankfurter" or "Hamburger".

This is the first time I've heard of "capon-neck" sausage.

I assume this is using the neck of the capon (or chicken) as the
sausage casing. Seems like a lot more more to get though. How do
you get all those bones out from inside the neck without ripping
the skin? Maybe this is less trouble when the chicken is raw?

Intestines would seem to yield a lot more casing for less work. But
I guess you work with what you've got and there may not be much
else to do with chicken necks.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net