[Sca-cooks] capon-neck sausage

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Sat Apr 27 08:56:57 PDT 2002

> Bear replied to Cindy with:
wesels - Liber Cure Cocorum #129, "For wesels". It's a capon-neck sausage or
small haggis-like dish, but what does the name come from?
> > Wesel is an obsolete form of weasel.  It's also a German city, one of
the Hanseatic League.  So, it is possible that, these resemble a weasel or
originate in Wesel.

Stefan responded:
> Thank you. This was my initial guess also. Sort of like "hot dog" or
"frankfurter" or "Hamburger".
> This is the first time I've heard of "capon-neck" sausage.
> I assume this is using the neck of the capon (or chicken) as the sausage
casing. <

    Maybe the reference to "capon-neck" is the size of the sausage.  Just so
long/so thick.  Makes me think of the MASH episode where Hawkeye asks the
nurse to look for a blood vessel piece to repair, and uses Italian pasta
names, and the nurse responds that she's Japanese/Hawaiian, could he
rephrase the size he needed in ethnic food she knows?  "eggroll", she
understood.

{Lots of food content}
Caointiarn